How to Care for your Fence
When you install a new wood fence, you’ll be amazed at how great it looks in your yard. How can you keep it looking great? With the proper maintenance, you can keep your fence in good shape for decades.
- Stain it as soon as possible. When you stain your wood fence soon after installation, you’re protecting it from both dry and wet rot. Linseed based oil stain is the best way to go because it restores the wood’s natural protective oils. The stain should be reapplied about once a year.
- Keep it clean. Whenever you see leaves or other debris on your fence, clean it. It’s important to keep dirt and moisture from accumulating because that accumulation can lead to wet rot, mold, and mildew. Using a pressure washer is very effective, especially if you first apply a solution of white vinegar and water. Allow the mixture to sit for ten minutes before using the pressure washer.
- Mold and mildew can be insidious. Even the best-kept fences can develop these issues, and it’s important to catch them early. Inspect your fence regularly, and if you see mold or mildew, wash it with soap and water, followed by mildew cleaner and then rinsing well.
- If you paint your fence you should plan on repainting it every three to four years. This helps to maintain the appearance of the fence, as well as providing protection. If it peels or chips, you can just touch it up, scraping away the old paint, sanding the area, and putting on a new coat of paint. After you paint, it’s smart to reseal, using a paint spraying unit.
- Keep up with repairs. Fences expand and contract with the weather, so nails and fasteners tend to get loose. Drive in loose nails, and replace any that are missing. Inspect your fence regularly and replace any sections that have split, warped, or rotted.
- Be wary of pests. Birds nests should be cleared away immediately. If you see termite activity, you can use borax to deter them, but if they’ve dug in, you should seek professional assistance. Clearing leaves and debris will help you spot pests early so that you can manage them.
If you’re ready to get a jump on your new fence, call Paramount Fence Inc for professional installation. At Paramount, we’ve been in business for over ten years, but our combined experience in the fence industry spans more than half a century! We’re a full-service fence sales and fence installation business in the Chicagoland area, and we’re dedicated to providing creative and affordable solutions that address our clients’ needs and fulfill their requests. Our staff offers exceptional customer service, striving to exceed your expectations throughout the fence buying and fence installation process. We provide high-quality, beautiful fences, and our reputation for excellence is well-established. Paramount Fence Inc is a member of the American Fence Association and a registered member of the Better Business Bureau. For more information on how we can help you find the right fence to meet your needs, call us at 630.239.2714 or contact us through our website.